Photobucket

Pages

Tuesday, April 19, 2011

How to make saber Lily costume!

How to Make a Saber Lily costume


 (Author of this blog note: this instruction are not mine I just saw this in the internet and I find it interesting enough to post it in my blog so I really thank: phoenixqueen)

I loved the design of this character when I first saw her, and finally made the costume of her to attend anime conventions with.  Saber Lily is an alternate outfit for the character Saber from Fate/Stay Night.  Saber Lily appears in the video game Fate/Unlimited Codes. 

This costume took me about 3 months working on and off from July to September, and I spent about $300-$400 on it, including the wig and boots.  Saber Lily taught me several new skills, including sewing, working with Wonderflex (a thermoplastic), woodcarving, wig styling, and spray painting, all of which I learned on the internet from forums and instructional sites such as this one.  Even though you might not want to make a Saber Lily costume, I hope this Instructable can help with other areas of craftmaking!
How to Make a Saber Lily costume

loading...
28400_1377888891785_1368750961_31593306_7714827_n.jpgIMG_9013-2.jpgIMG_9011-2.jpg4063846954_f6b1cfcebd.jpg4063847288_18c963968e.jpg4063847804_e60bbae547.jpg4063847526_8944a14988.jpg4063100567_76f4649a5f.jpg
4063085031_4aa9bde515.jpg



step 1List of Materials
Here are the materials that I used and where I got it.Sewing machineSergerWhite sateen (Joann's)Gray cotton (Joann's)Pink cotton (Joann's)Black cotton (Joann's)White satin lining (Joann's)Muslin (eBay)Tulle (eBay)White satin ribbon (P&S Fabrics, but I recommend getting it online instead because it's cheaper that way)Hooks and eyes (Joann's)3 round beads, 3 long tear dro…

step 2Planning and Drafting
1.  The first and most important thing you want to do is plan out and draft the costume.  Find as many images as possible of the character from different angles.  I think well made figurines are especially helpful because you can see the character from every angle.  If you don't draft out the patterns well, then as you go on the rest of the costume won't sew together pr…

step 3Sewing the Bodice
1.  If it helps you, pin your pieces together before you sew it.  I sewed the dress together with a 1/4" seam allowance with a straight stitch, the only stitch my mom's sewing machine could do.2.  After sewing the pieces together, cut notches into any parts with curves so when you turn the seam side in, the fabric will lay smooth.3.  Then I used a serger to overlock the…

step 4Sewing the Skirt
1. For the white and gray skirts, I made circle skirts.  Figure out how long you want to make the white skirt.  For Saber Lily, it ends at about the knee.  Then, figure out the radius of your waist size, (for example if your waist is 28", divide by 2pi to get about 4.5" for the radius.)  Add the waist radius to the length of the skirt to get the total radius of the circ…

step 5Putting the Dress Together
1.  Sew the skirt under the petals of the dress.2.  Right now, the bodice isn't closed yet.  Put in an invisible zipper.  You will probably have to cut into the dress to extend the gap from the bodice.  Here's a good tutorial on invisible zippers: sewiknit.blogspot.com/2006/03/invisible-zipper-tutorial.html3.  And your dress is finished!  In the photos I uploaded in thi…

step 6Sewing the Petticoat
I found this website helpful on how to make a petticoat: sugardale.blogspot.com/2008/08/how-to-make-petticoat.htmlI changed some of the steps to make it a little easier for myself.1.  Instead of crinoline, I used tulle, which doesn't fray so it's easy to work with.  I cut out long 6 inch panels and sewed them together to get a 6 inch by 8 yard strip, a 6 inch by 4 yard …

step 7Carving the Sword (Caliburn)
Now we're going to carve Saber Lily's sword called Caliburn out of wood.1.  First I found a large picture of Caliburn and blew it up on the computer until it was in proportion to my height compared to Saber Lily.  Then I printed it out and drew the outline on a piece of plywood.2.  I cut out the outline of the sword with a jigsaw.3.  I used a chisel to make the blade sl…

step 8Painting the Sword
When spray painting, make sure you're in a well ventilated area and wear a ventilation mask.  Spray paint particles in your lungs is no good for you!1.  Cover the silver parts of the sword and the handle with painters tape or masking tape.  We're going to paint the gold parts only first.2.  Clean off the area to be painted.  Wipe any dust and grime off, because that wil…

step 9Shaping the Armor
For the armor, I went with a thermoplastic called Wonderflex.  You can heat up the plastic, shape it, then it will hold it's shape as it cools.  People have used hair dryers, heat guns, and boiling water to heat it.  I used a heat gun.  Wonderflex is thin and you can cut it with a pair of scissors.  It's self adhesive, so when  you heat it up you can stick it to other p…

step 10Polish and Paint Armor
Wonderflex has a characteristic duct tape texture.  To get rid of it, one way is to paint it with gesso and sand it smooth between each layer.  I included a photo that shows what a polished and unpolished piece of armor looks like.  1.  Paint armor with gesso.  Apply with foam brushes to make it smoother.2.  Sand down the gesso after it dries.3.  Repeat about 8 times.  …

No comments:

Post a Comment